Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How soon must collection agency respond after receiving letter of dispute within 30 day period?

I requested verification of a debt two weeks ago. I didn't deny I owed the company, but did deny the original amount listed with the collection agency, and requested proof of how they arrived at the large mount in late fees and interest.



Although this company was sending me mail at least twice a week, I haven't heard from them since sending the letter, and this is the third week now. I made the request within the 30 day period mentioned in the letter, so I should have received something via mail by now shouldn't I?



How much time do they have to get back to me with the information? My credit report shows the ORIGINAL debt I owed with late fees August 2006 was $7000(it was much less than that), one month later, it showed over $11,000 September 2006.



I also noticed, that although I have debt with other collection agencies, only this collection agency appears on the first page directly under ';public records'; listing the debt I owe.